Thursday, April 21, 2016

GREAT Comeback - Starts with a Base 3

The Secret to Building a Solid Base

"Drop other distractions. Grab a partner. Get out the door.
Wear comfortable clothes. And solid shoes. ETC."

Rarely do I share my secrets, but in this case, since making The GREAT Canadian Comeback is such a hot topic, I will make an exception.

The secret to my success, the reason that I am doing so well logging miles of walking almost every day, is that I have more than one secret. Really, building a solid base so that a lifetime of fun and fitness is possible is not a simple "I'll just snap my fingers" affair. It's hard work.

Here are my secrets:

I make my walking routine a high priority

I drop other activities, e.g., my weekly hockey game is now gone

I walk to complete errands, e.g., to pick up groceries

I walk with a partner. Don K. helped build my walking habit

I have suitable walking clothes and shoes at the ready

I started easy (short distances, short duration), within physical and time limits

I gradually added on 'five minutes here', 'another block there' and
will continue to do so re shuffling, jogging, running

Conclusion - I built the walking habit, and now I'm continuing to build a solid base for more activities. I realize I cannot do everything but I want to have fun and fitness. I have time to walk, I make time to walk and I take it.

"Hey, I'll walk. I've got sturdy legs.... albeit short and skinny, as above"

Now that I have developed an 'almost daily' walking habit (Steady Eddie over the last 6.5 months), I'm finding it easier to associate walking with other parts of my life. When a friend and I talked recently about meeting up for coffee, I suggested a location that was convenient for both of us and 35 - 40 minutes from my front door. (After coffee time I was asked if I wanted a ride home. "I think I'll walk, thanks," I said. No problemo).

In two more years I bet I will be walking to more places almost automatically.

Please link to GREAT Comeback - Starts with a Base 2

No comments:

Post a Comment