Monday, April 18, 2016

GREAT Comeback - Starts with a Base 1

Building a Base on Sturdy Legs


According to my rudimentary records, from October 1, 2015 to March 31, 2016, I walked 696 miles. I walked 72 in October and twice that many in January (140 miles) and March (144). I guess I'm blessed with sturdy legs and they haven't failed me yet.

I'm also happy to say I have a pretty good desire to increase the workload every couple of months so that my body gets used to facing a bit more challenge as the months go by. A few months ago I made an effort to choose hilly routes on occasion to build up my leg strength. And lately I have done a bit of 'shuffling off to Buffalo' (i.e., the slowest type of jogging the world has ever witnessed) to gradually increase my speed. Why, at the rate I'm going I may become the fastest shuffler in my age group by 2020.

Admittedly, I don't have any specific goal as I did when I was a long-distance runner. For example, I am not going out the door this Spring to train for a Fall long-distance walk, 10 kilometre road race or marathon. I don't have the desire or proper conditioning at this time. And I don't have a decent pair of running shoes for an organized event, or a colour-coordinated sports outfit to impress the spectators or my fans. Someday, maybe.


If I walk a total of 700 - 750 miles from April 1 to September 30 then I can say I've built a very solid base or foundation for mounting The GREAT Canadian Comeback. My walking partner is already thinking about running a 5 kilometre roadrace in October.

Me? I'll take my time to think about it while shufflin' off to Buffalo this summer.

"30 miles per week will build a pretty solid base"

Photos from along the way:


"I pass through downtown London on my way to Old East Village"

Link to Photos from along the way

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment