Thursday, April 28, 2016

Lessons Learned Along the Way 2

Getting Faster Happens Naturally

"Last Sunday's road race inspired my shuffling this week" GH

There are books written for serious runners who wish to run faster. One can learn about speed workouts of various kinds and undoubtedly, some will work.

At this stage in The GREAT Comeback, however, I will rely on the following factors to knock a few minutes off the time it takes to cover a four- or 5-mile route:

"Good shuffling during yesterday's 5.5-mile walkajog"

- I will make an effort to have a high GOTD* rate.

- I will include a bit of shuffling (or really slow jogging) in 2 or 3 walks per week

I know that if I continue my regular exercise routine, and high GOTD rate, I will become a slightly faster walker because the body gets better with practice. And if I continue to add regular shuffling, my body will get used to the added effort and become more efficient.... and faster.

Already I notice that I am shuffling longer distances without really thinking about it, e.g., 120 metres instead of 80 - 100m. Already I feel smoother on my feet. Added speed will surely follow. So, I don't need to concentrate on getting faster, I just need to keep doing what I'm doing.

Yesterday, during my 5.5-mile walk, the added shuffling helped me get home in the same amount of time it usually takes to cover 4.5 miles. I figure if the shuffling cuts 20 minutes off my time in late April, then by late May the shuffling will help me cut about 25 minutes off the same walk. So, my mantra "Speed Up, Man" is working out just fine.



"I'm in the home stretch about 20 minutes ahead of schedule"

*Get Out The Door, e.g., 90 per cent of the days per month

GH is second from right in top photo

Please link to Lessons Learned Along the Way 1

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment