Monday, April 25, 2016

The GREAT Comeback - Starts with a Base 5

Running Errands and Running Races

"I completed two errands during my walk on April 22*"

I would say that after I developed the habit - over the course of 3 months last fall - of going out the door (GOTD) over 90 per cent of the days per week, good weekly mileage followed. I have walked over 100 miles per month for the last five months (Nov. - March: 105 - 144 miles, average 125 miles) and am on track to equal or surpass the average in April. And surely, now that the habit of walking on a regular basis and covering 100-plus miles per month is steady, good fitness and health benefits should follow.

Photo credit - Walking Benefits

Yesterday I cheered on runners participating in a local set of races (half- and full-marathon) and while talking to a former running mate I let the following thought slip out:

"Maybe I'll look for a five-kilometre road race in the fall. I'm running low on T-shirts."

"I was inspired to walk 7 miles after watching a local road race
with Radio Dan and other former running mates"

There could easily be some truth in that statement, especially related to my supply of shirts. The knowledge that I have built a solid foundation for some easy running, i.e., shuffling or walk-a-jogging, allows me to think about long-distance running again. A five-kilometre road race in the fall is definitely doable. My regular shuffling tells me so.

Whether I'll plan for a short race is another question, because I'm having fun doing what I'm doing and know that positive physical benefits will accrue over the course of future weeks and months. Especially the months.

Photos from along the way:



*On April 22 I delivered a birdhouse to Old East Village. Easy errands = good miles. Two birds with one walk. 

Please link to The GREAT Comeback - Starts with a Base 4

No comments:

Post a Comment