Sunday, October 29, 2017

Feeling Some Pressure (10).

Race Day Results!

[Photo: Race bib says it all - 100% positive results]

I took part in the Hallowe'en Haunting Race last night, a 10 Km. event on very familiar turf - the Terry Fox Path near Springbank Gardens. I did good.

I wanted to run the course in under one hour, at a pace similar to my 5K run on October 1st. I finished that race in 30:07, so my goal of 59:59 wasn't much of a stretch. It was twice as far, I know, but my runs in October had been good and steady.

I started off the race slow and easy, found and adopted a group going at a steady pace, stayed clear of puddles as best I could in the dark, and, after running 2 km., settled into my own game. I could not see my watch so did not know my exact pace per kilometre, but I felt good. And I felt better when I finished the first 5 km. in 30:04, according to the race clock.

I thought, I started slow so if I can hold my pace steady for 5 more kilometres I'll come in near the hour mark.

Oh yeh, I knew what to do!

As I ran the last half I concocted a brilliant plan for the finish. I knew where the 9 km. mark was, so I decided to hold steady until I got there, then make a push to the finish line. However, at the 8.5 km. mark, approaching a wide, gentle curve in the path, I started to pull away from the small group of runners I had accompanied for several minutes. I wouldn't say I felt a new surge of strength; more like 'a wee bit of get up and go.' So I got up and went.

 Slow start, strong finish, big smile. Feeling of sveltness!

Oh yeh. Get ready for more stories.

I passed one more runner during the last kilometre and no one passed me. As I rounded the last corner I saw the race clock was several seconds under one hour. Great! The sveltness I felt was not necessarily overwhelming, but at least good enough for a quiet cheer.

And twenty minutes later some race results were posted - I learned I was first in my age group - and I enjoyed a very good laugh.

 "You've got to be kidding," I said to myself. I checked the results again. Yup, I was number 1. But there was no number 2 or 3 or so on. I was the only male in my age group.

Ha ha ha!! Victory is sweet, I thought.

Gord's new race philosophy: If you can't beat them, out-live them all!!

 "Approaching a wide, gentle curve in the path" on the Terry Fox route

 This section is just past the 9 km. mark. "I passed one more runner."

 Another bridge to cross. Should I train for a spring half-marathon?

 Don't Quit. Endure with Strength.

Group hug. Group hug. (Lisa, Dan, Karen, Michelle, Gord, Ross; Hell, MI)

Winter goals to soon follow.


Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment