Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Feeling Some Pressure (7)

A Breakthrough, as a 10 Km. Race Nears.

[Photo: "OK, that was something!" I survive a muddy swamp.]

Race day is 10 days away. And though I've already hit a few of my markers (or goals) before the race, I haven't hit them all. But after yesterday's run, I'm confident I will.

My last run was last Thursday, so yesterday's plan was to walk/run - easy style - for about 6 miles. After initially walking for a block and a half, however, I began to run.... and kept going all the way to my 3-mile marker. Then I turned around, continued to run and didn't stop until I was a block from home.

AOK, I thought. That was something. 

Yesterday's entry - almost a 6-miler

That being said, I wasn't completely surprised. I was well rested after three days of short walks, the temperature was very comfortable and my base of walks and runs (two years' worth of steady going) is pretty solid. I likely could have run another mile or so - but I didn't feel the need. If I cover about 6 miles once or twice before October 28 I will be in confident form for my last road race of the season.

3-mile marker is behind me, west of nearby bridge. [Old photo.]

While running, I felt I was experiencing several benefits that make themselves known as the result of regular exercise:

Increased stamina: My endurance for the 10 Km. road race is not in question.

Increased strength: After my turn-around, I ran up the long incline (above photo), pretty steadily, to Wonderland Gardens.

Increased speed: Well, I am definitely not a speedy runner, but my October pace is recognizably a bit faster and steadier than in early summer.

Smoother stride: Observers will say I do not run along like a well-oiled machine, but I think I'm getting there! : )

Growing sense of satisfaction: I'm not a reluctant runner anymore. I look forward to walking days and walk/run days, and the running part - "slow and easy-like" - is gradually becoming more dominant. I am happy with my goals and performance, all within my limits.

Photos from along the way:



Cool photos from cooler days on the Terry Fox Pathway

What lies ahead? Will I run through the winter months and aim for a longer road race in early 2018? For example, a half-marathon in May?

I think it's too early to tell. I look forward to the 10 Km. race and then some thinking time about "next steps."

Some Thinkin' Time

Sittin, eatin, relaxin - at Dances with Dirt in Hell, Michigan
[T-shirt is from half-marathon, Quebec City]

"Send me in, Coach. I'm ready for my next leg."

Gord and son Paul in Quebec City, after the half-marathon.
No mud! Circa 2000. Repeat next year?

How about a nice run around Capital Hill, Ottawa, in November?


Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment